Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ohmigod! They've Xain'd Sleena...

Ohh.. never mind, old news, that happened way back in '86.
Yes, Xain'd Sleena. Up there in the lists of unusal game names I gotsta say.
I used to pop a few creds into this game down at the local swimmin' pool complex as a youth.
I went there 75% to swim, 25% to get my Sleena Xain'd.


I never forgot 'bout this game, but I sure as hell forgot the title.
 In fact the more I think of the title, the stranger it becomes - Who or what is a Sleena? Why is it getting Xain'd? Also considering the main character is actually named Xain, is it a noun or a verb?


 Well the people funding Xains mission don't give a turnip's eye about grammar - Defend of all planets? That could prove nonsensically impossible
 Xainy-poo is cooler lookin' than Master Chief in my opinion, boy did I love this game, boy did I suck at it.


I'm saving up for one o' these.
 Further questions on the title come to mind;
If I tell my boss I got a Xain'd Sleena, and it'll be that way for weeks, can I get off work?
Why is the only anagram I can make from this title - 'Sex Alien DNA'?


Mmm...Cleemalt... thirsty now.
 Choices rule the den. A lot o' games from this era only gave you one choice at the beginning of the game - like save yer girlfriend or avenge ya family - but there's only so many families you can avenge, or girlfriends you can save (trust me).
XS gives 5 starting planet choices with funky names all followed by SOA. 'Save Our Asses' or just more Sleenese? Your call...


 "The viewing platform... just keep walking right you say?"
Welcome to Cleemalt, take in the stunning view of our ringed satellite, and later, be sure to sample our range of locally produced fine Cleemalt-whiskey.


"Ooh, complimentary P.
Lush, tropical Lagto provides free parking outside any of our multi-level rustic malls, our friendly grenade lobbing staff are happy to assist. Please wipe your shoes, insect repellant not provided.




"I don't like Cleedos it's course and rough and irritating... and it gets everywhere... not like you."
 When on sunny Cleedos check out our twenty-four hour  cosplay experience. Now with extra moons! Moisture farmer subsidy cards accepted.


"Under da sea!... doo doo doo dee, Under da sea!..."
 Kworal is galaxy famous for it's fresh and dangerous seafood, from giant-clam-burgers to psychotic-leviathan-fritters, dine in, take-away, or fry your own right here above the magnificent Kworal reef.




"Aaand action!"
 Guwld has it all! Live like the rich and famous! Re-enact your favourite scenes from Star Wars, The Golden Child, The Dark Cauldron and Some Like It Hot. Remember bring plenty of sun tan lotion.
NB: No food or beverages permitted on Guwld.

So concludes today's rather brief tour - XS is simple, sure it's no Little Big Planet, but my nostalgia for the game is associated with top summer memories, and heck, you could double jump, not only crouch but lie down and shoot, all after choosing from any one of five off world locations. Who could demand more?

(well, you do get to fly Xain's, ship but that's a surprise)


Sneak peak screenshots, too much multitasking for me. What with playing Xain'd Sleena, listening to Jarvis Cocker on BBC6, trying to get muesli from my teeth, repositioning a plastic Xenomorph in accordance with the laws of feng shui...
times are tough, huh.

"If things are looking up, no need to stop climbing" - Rihia2k
(aww, make up yer own quote, wontcha?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Xain'd Sleena means soldier of light in 8th universe,
    at the same time Sleena is name of Xain's spacecraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowza, thanks for the interesting piece of info! Appreciated.
      This was a very lazy blog entry on one of my favourite arcade games, perhaps I shoulda' mentioned the slightly Sarlaac inspired sand-traps and a not-so-subtle reference to a very Jabba The Hutt looking background mountain on Cleedos.

      Delete
  2. I remember this game too. It brings back great memories, but side scrollers don't stand the test of time that well, but great memories. I miss those lazy days of my childhood. Now I rush my kids to practice and music lessons, and they are so consumed with gpa, and national honor society. Playing outside with friends is now replaced with playing on line. Kids having more games and tons of tv channels but still bored as ever. Oh I miss those days. Oh well back to work...

    ReplyDelete