Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bats amore...

Wherever you go there you are.
Must say, it's been beautiful on the way. However, I'm off the road again, and as temporarily settled as I ever get.
A stimulating and eventful drive from Kangaroo Island, South Australia, to Brisbane, Queensland (the real one) is done.

Virtual Queensland, and coincidentally one I've frequented since living in Brisbane.

Hmm, Sega Saturn's Mistaria that, but would the real Queensland please stand up?

After ten or so days on the Eden of Kangaroo Island, literally losin' count, and more or less deliberately forgettin' what day of the week it was, just spent a few weeks dawdling, driving, and camping in a vague Queensland like direction. Change is, of course, relatively gradual interstate, but then you slide Adelaide and Brisbane up against each other and the difference is crystal.
ie, breathing moisture instead of dust.

These days geckos replace millipedes as wall adorners, its thunderstorms, lush hills, greenery scenery, skywater (oh, lots of skywater)... and bats. Big, bad-ass, brilliant bats!
Previous bat encounters in other states had only been peripheral squeak streaks.
After a coupla' nights discovering Toowoomba (4 metres at a time, due to downpours), finally hit the Brissy of it all and camped out in the suburb of Ipswich... locally pronounced Eepsweech (shudder).

You know I'm all about the critters, so it was a great night, up late just getting spoiled with dusk and nocturnal animal eye-candy, possums audibly munching leftover carrot tops, low flying fruit bats bending branches and chattering in 'gremlinese', bush turkeys having a corroboree with my girlfriend when I'm not around then disappearing when I get back. Good times, good times...

... the frick is?...

Appaaarently... it's a Red Triangle Slug. That only serves t' remind me of The Penguin's gang from Batman Returns. It don't tell me why there's a bright ruddy tri-piece about it's pneumostome... I felt somewhat uneasy waiting for it to shoot rohypnol up my nostril and then lay Ridley Scott's baby in my face but that didn't happen... it just breathed at me. Unlike the mummified toad I found in the brick basement I'm renting. As for New Zealand slugs... grey, and eraser size would be considered big.

Aaand it's back to the N of Z for an entire ten days come next Thursday. Whanau, friends, weddings and parents await. Not that this kiwi ever needs an excuse to fly.

OooOoo ... toil and trouble ... OooOOoo


"Beware the promising new path, so often it may lead to the old road" - Rihia2k

No comments:

Post a Comment